The 2015 Spirit of Gemma Award recipients were recently announced by Gemma's Angels at an awards ceremony in Hershey. The award recognizes those who significantly contribute to Gemma’s Angel’s mission in caring for the poor, the working poor and the homeless. Recipients can also have provided services or assisted these populations independently of Gemma's Angels.
Nominees can be individuals, groups or organizations or a business. Priority is given to those who reside or are located in Dauphin or Lebanon Counties but consideration is given to any nominee.
Dauphin County Commissioner and Gemma’s Angels Advisory Board Member H. Michael Pries was the featured presenter and speaker
The 2015 awards were presented to:
- Pronio’s Market, Hershey, PA: for their years of community effort in helping the needy and soldiers overseas;
- Cargill Animal Nutrition, Lebanon, PA: recognized for assisting with helping Lebanon’s poor and homeless;
- Shalom House, Harrisburg, PA: recognized for their advocacy and emergency sheltering for homeless women and children, transitional housing for homeless women veterans and their children, and permanent housing for disabled, chronically homeless low-income women;
- Deborah McNeal and Girl Scouts in the Heart of Pennsylvania Junior Troop 10965, Hershey, PA, recognized for their ongoing contributions toward the mission of the organization;
- Strite’s Orchard, Harrisburg, PA: recognized for their continued and generous contributions of fresh produce toward feeding the homeless of the Harrisburg area;
- Dauphin County Office of Adult Probation Services, Harrisburg, PA: recognized for many years of providing community service workers;
- Marcellene Currens, Sewin’ Sisters Sowing, Harrisburg, PA: recognized for providing years of sewing, mending services and other materials to the poor of Harrisburg;
- Master Suk Kim of Kim's Institute of Martial Arts, Hershey, PA: for providing volunteer teams for Gemma's fundraising events.
GIANT supermarkets sponsored the event.