Volunteer with Us--For Memories of a Lifetime
Volunteers are the lifeblood of any non-profit organization and Gemma's Angels is no exception. Dedicated volunteers are essential to the ongoing success of our mission and we offer many volunteer opportunities for those who want to “give back” to the community. Volunteerism is a great way to meet new people, learn new skills, gain insight, grow personally, and help build a better society.
We Need Volunteers and Volunteers to Manage those Volunteers!
First, click here to get registered in our volunteer database. Once you register, you will receive an email when we need the particular services required in the volunteer position you chose. If you don't hear from us, feel free to call us at 717 298 0150, ext 5 and ask for Mike.
Note, when you register as a volunteer, you are automatically signed up for our e-newsletter. You may unsubscribe at any time. In the online database, you can choose among the following:
- Community Ambassador: We conduct grassroots outreach (tabling) for at-risk children and families as street fairs, community events, festivals, and the like. We provide nutritional literature, fresh veggies (if possible) and a visit with our new Truck Farm Trailer. Our mascots, Farmer Andy & Andrea, are also a project that is growing. If you want to act as either of the mascots for the day, we'd love your help and have talking points all prepared.
Backyard Fruit Harvests NEW
Private property owners who have small orchards, fruit trees or vines will often allow us to glean the produce. Backyard Fruit Harvest teams go to those properties to harvest. Volunteers meet the Pick Leader at the designated time and receive a brief orientation on safe harvesting techniques. Depending on what we’re picking, we will supply fruit pickers, clippers, gloves, harvest bags and poles, which volunteers use to pick as much fruit as possible. When the harvest wraps up, volunteers will help to load up a vehicle with boxes, pick up the equipment and, generally, leave the property as we found it. PS families with children--with some limitations--welcome!
Farmers Market Recovery Team NEW!
Team members meet at a designated time and place at the market. A Volunteer Glean Team Leader oversees the events and provides an orientation before the glean begins. Volunteers walk through the market with empty boxes, distributing them to any produce vendors wishing to make a donation. The vendors are usually willing to donate their excess produce, if they have it. The donated produce is weighed, recorded (farmers get a tax deductible receipt for their donations), and prepared for drop-off at the designated area and your work here is done!
- Community Garden Volunteer: Help with our garden based at the Hershey Community Garden behind Penn State Hershey hospital. We need help weeding, watering, harvesting and general garden upkeep.
- Community Service Hours: If you need community service for school or probation, call us directly at 717 298 0150 extension 5 and ask for Mike to find out more details.
- Mobile Market Driver: We need drivers for our Mobile Farmer's Market, especially during weekday hours. Got one day each month free? We'll take it!
- Mobile Market Assistant: Don't want to drive? It's okay. We need plenty of help in the back sorting and packing produce, working with clients, etc. Even one or two days a month is great!
- Reverse Food Truck: We don't make food. We take food! We show up at any event where there are people. It could be any community event such as a race, a fair, a festival, a sporting event--anything. The idea is we give folks enough notice so that they will bring along some type of fresh produce. Typically, a good donation would be a bag of oranges, potatoes, onions, apples--any fresh produce!
- Donate My Home Garden Produce: Got a garden? Check this to donate some of your harvest!
- Fundraising Events: We are planning a series of Farm to Table Tastings events. Select this to be involved. No longterm commitments.
- HersheyPark Volunteer: You can earn free HersheyPark passes while making money for Gemma's Angels. It's a great gig! Click here for more info.
- Truck Farm Trailer Garden-on-Wheels: It's a traveling, edible garden-on-wheels that teaches children the job of growing food. It gives them a hands-on look at the source of the food that fuels their growing bodies and minds. It can visit youth groups, camps, schools, etc. to deliver interactive and educational lessons about the benefits of nutritious produce. It's all designed to engage young people in healthy eating and to teach sustainability.
- Holiday Events Volunteer: We conduct holiday Christmas parties at four area homeless shelters. It's lots of fun!
- Mobile Market Cookbook Project: This is a long-term project which we are working on, bit-by-bit, gathering recipes for our Mobile Market. Do this online at your leisure.
- Volunteer Mechanic (checkups only): We're looking for some folks to check the oil, check the air in the tires, change interior lightbulbs, coordinate work with our service garage, etc. Nothing extreme.
- Volunteer as Needed: Just send me an email and I'll think about it. How easy is that? You can say yes to whatever you wish. No obligations!
Again, make sure you click here to sign up for that online database. We will email you when an opportunity arises. Note, when you register as a volunteer, you are automatically signed up for our e-newsletter. You may unsubscribe at any time.