Gemma's Angels HersheyPark Volunteer Program
How does the Program work?
- YOU volunteer your time at the Hershey Entertainment Complex, and;
- WE get $6 for every hour you work, and;
- YOU get one--sometimes more--Hersheypark ticket voucher for each shift you work! It's that simple!
Standard Working Conditions for all Departments: Organization Volunteers must be able to stand for entire Volunteer Shift and Organization Volunteers must be able to bend, stoop, and walk. Must be able to volunteer in a variety of weather conditions; including, heat, cold, and inclement weather.
Here's some more information:
- Most shifts last about five (5) hours.
- You get the voucher at the end of each shift and it's good for an entire year.
- If you happen to work a double shift, you'll get a break
- At really busy times, when the park has problems filling their schedule, they offer double or even triple vouchers!
- You can work at job assignments at Hersheypark, Hersheypark Stadium, Hersheypark Arena, or the GIANT Center.
- You must be at least 18 years of age to participate.
- You must sign a HersheyPark waiver the first shift you work each year. You have to sign again each following year.
What Steps do I follow to become a volunteer?
STEP 1: REGISTER ONLINE
Click here to register at our online volunteer signup form. Please make sure you fill out the entire form. Also, please check to receive our regular newsletter so you know about Gemma's Angels general news.
STEP 2. LEARN HOW IT WORKS
- Click here to go to our HersheyPark info page. You'll find there everything you need to know to volunteer--what to wear, when to report, where to report, parking, what departments have jobs... everything!
- This information is very important! HersheyPark is very particular about these rules! They have very high standards for appearance and conduct--and so do we. Remember, you not only represent HersheyPark when you are there, but you represent us as well. We guarantee that you will not only earn passes at the park but will have a great time doing so!
STEP 3. WATCH FOR JOBS
It's UP TO YOU to watch for available shifts by going to Hershey's online calendars. They update these frequently.
- Because you've registered with us as a HersheyPark volunteer, you will receive emails from us telling you about shifts for retail, guest relations, parking attendants, ushers, etc. letting you know about jobs. We send these when we are notified by Hershey.
- If you do not want to receive these specific HersheyPark Volunteer emails from us, simply reply to them and type "Unsubscribe HersheyPark" and we will take you off that specific list but keep you on our regular newsletter.
STEP 4. SIGN UP FOR JOBS/SHIFTS
Once you decide on the days and jobs/shifts you wish to work, TEXT us your request to the following phone number:
(717) 820-5706 (text only--no phone calls)
We will need the following:
- The Day and Date of the shift you want
- The Place i.e. Hersheypark, GIANT Center, etc.
- The job i.e. rides, foods, parking, etc
- The START and END time of the shift you want
- Your full name
- Your Email
- Your Phone number
- Text us 9 am to 9 pm, every day
You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We will acknowledge your request and will CALL HersheyPark and get your request confirmed as soon as possible. As soon as we do, we will text or email you back. When we do, please text us back, letting us know you received our message. Remember that we are staffed with volunteers and we'll do our best to respond as soon as we can. We appreciate your patience.
STEP 5. SIGN UP FOR JOBS/SHIFTS
what happens next?
We will notify you by text or by email if your request has been accepted by HersheyPark. You are not assigned automatically. If HersheyPark does approve your request and we notify you, simply report to the employee entrance to the park 30 minutes prior to the start of your shift. You will be asked to sign a wavier on your very first shift and given a shirt.
here's the cool part--you get your hersheypark vouchers right away--at the end of your shift
YES, at the end of your shift! And those vouchers are good for one admission and they don't expire for an entire year. So, you, your friends or family have one year to use them! You can use them during the regular HersheyPark season, for HersheyPark in the Dark, at Christmas Candylane. etc.
Sometimes, they run out of vouchers due to demand. Don't panic, they are very good at postal mailing them to you. Just give them some time. If there is an issue, contact us
step 6. I've got a question or a problem, who do I contact?
- If you have questions, or a last minute emergency and need to cancel, call Mike at (717) 298-0150, ext 5. Please keep those calls to emergency or urgent calls only. Otherwise, email us.
- Remember, by signing up for the HersheyPark Volunteer Program, you agree to abide by all the rules of the program.
Click here to review both job descriptions and the new volunteer waiver for 2018.
(Note Schedule A in the Waiver which disallows volunteers working in the program which certain criminal arrest histories.)
- Please make sure you adhere to the dress code. Giant Center dress code is different from HERSHEYPARK. There is an update regarding wearing of jewelry, specifically watches. Please take note of the change. Please return their aprons before you leave either the Giant Center or HERSHEYPARK.
- Always keep in mind the vouchers earned for tickets are not to be sold, bartered or exchanged. if it is discovered that you are selling vouchers or their tickets, you will no longer be able to volunteer.
- If you request to leave your shift early, the hours paid to Gemma's Angels will be reduced and depending on how early they request to leave, your vouchers will also be reduced. If you leave your position without permission from a supervisor, it is classified as a walk-off and you will no longer be able to volunteer.
- Employees in any department of HE&R are not eligible to volunteer for any non-profit organization.
- ALL Volunteers must complete, sign, and date a new Volunteer Waiver and Release form upon their arrival prior to the sign=in for their first shift.
- Shifts can be changed and/or cancelled as needed according to our staffing needs. You will be notified if a shift is cancelled.
VOLUNTEER DEPARTMENT JOB DESCRIPTIONS & requirements
The following Departments regularly provide requests for volunteer jobs:
Food & Beverage:
Assist catering staff with special group meals; assist in restaurants with prep work, basic cooking, serving customers, and maintaining general cleanliness. Some Organization Volunteers may be asked to handle money. Year round shifts are available.
- Click here to read detailed job requirements for Food & Beverage jobs
Assist operators at major rides, operate easy-to-run rides, enforce height restrictions and other safety guidelines, and sweep and maintain general cleanliness of ride area. Must be able to lift approximately 25-30 lbs. several times a day.
- Click here to read detailed job requirements for Rides jobs
Assist in collecting parking fees and identifying parking passes as guests enter the Hershey Entertainment Complex. Organization Volunteers must be able to handle money and be comfortable processing cash transactions without the use of a calculator or cash register.
- Click here to read detailed job requirements for Food & Beverage jobs
Stocking and maintain cleanliness of shops, selling items to guests and operating a cash register.
- Click here to read detailed job requirements for Retail jobs
Job assignments include working in our skill games and in our arcade locations. Volunteers are required to work individually in our games and must be comfortable running a location alone. At check in, Volunteers will be sent to one of six (6) areas within the Park.
- Click here to read detailed job requirements for Games jobs
Job assignments working as ushers at GIANT center and the HersheyPark Stadium.
- Click here to read detailed job requirements for Games jobs
Job assignments taking park tickets but not working cash registers. Mostly sitting.
- Click here to read details
General Rules and Requirements for All Jobs
**Standard Working Conditions for all Departments: Organization Volunteers must be able to stand for entire Volunteer Shift and Organization Volunteers must be able to bend, stoop, and walk. Must be able to volunteer
in a variety of positions.**
REPORTING FOR A VOLUNTEER SHIFT
- Please arrive 30 minutes prior to the start of your shift
- Once you have reached your respective location, you will be prompted to sign in.
- Signing In - Once you have met the Department representative, you will be asked to sign in.
- Upon signing in, sign the Volunteer Release and Waiver Agreement (This is where age will be verified for anyone who appears to be under the age of thirty (30))
- The Volunteer Temporary Pass will then also be completed by a Labor and Scheduling employee
- At this point, all cell phones must be turned off or placed on silent. Individual Volunteers may not have electronic devices such as cameras, iPods, iPads, or any other device that would turn attention away from the Guest.
- Once individual Volunteers are signed in and verified, they will receive all company issued items, temporary I.D. card, and their assigned location for the block shift.
- For further details of each Department’s respective check in process, please reference each Department Welcome Letter.
- Breaks - Volunteers will NOT receive a break when signing up for a five (5) hour block. However, if a Volunteer is scheduled for back to back block shifts, his/her break will occur between the block of shifts.
- Volunteers may not consume or purchase any item of food within the Park gates, GIANT Center, or HP Stadium. Volunteers are required to break only in the designated employee areas (please reference each Department Welcome Letter attached for details).
- HersheyPark may be forced to operate on a limited basis; however, don't assume that you will not be needed. If your services are not required due to weather, or any other operational reason, Hershey Entertainment Complex management will contact Gemma's Angels as early as possible who will, in turn, contact you.
- If your services are required and you cancel or fail to report, Gemma's Angels will receive no payment and may be removed as a participant in the program for too many of these incidents. In any event, please call Gemma's Angels for the time which you are scheduled to work if you have any questions.
Can I bring my children?
- NO, they will not be admitted to the Park or an event without purchasing a ticket. If a child purchases a ticket and enters the Park or an event, they are not allowed to be in designated work areas.
Do we receive a break during our scheduled shift?
- Breaks will not be issued. Since the shifts are all five (5) hours or less, breaks will not be available.
What do I wear?
Everything our guests see contributes to his/her impression of our facility; therefore, we ask that all volunteers present a neat and clean image. Although volunteers are not required to wear a uniform, we require that our volunteer groups still maintain a consistent look. Please read below for Hershey Entertainment & Resorts volunteer group appearance guidelines.
- Pants: Khaki or tan colored pants, shorts, or Bermudas are acceptable. Rips, tears, or cargo pockets are not permitted. No jeans or capri pants.
- Shirts: Park issued or solid white-colored polo shirt (excluding Food & Beverage) and name tag are required. Aprons and hair nets will be provided for Food & Beverage volunteers.
- Shoes: Comfortable sneakers with covered heels are required. High heels, clogs, and open-toed footwear (including sandals and flip flops) are not permitted.
- If a volunteer wears anything that does not comply with our volunteer appearance policy, they will be asked to leave.
- See specific Dress Code info below
At the end of your shift, go to "Check In" at the Historic Hersheypark Arena.
Once you've finished your shift, sign out.
- Once the individual Volunteer has signed out, he/she will forfeit their temporary I.D. and any company issued items if applicable.
- Once all the requirements of signing out have been satisfied, the individual Volunteer will receive one (1) voucher.
To get your voucher, you must hand the Volunteer Temporary Pass to a Labor and Scheduling employee, who will give you a single new voucher that is already completed with your information. The new voucher will indicate the number of vouchers the document will be "worth". Example - If the shift worked by the volunteer was a triple voucher shift, the new voucher will be "worth" 3 tickets of the volunteers choice as indicated on the new vouchers. The new vouchers will remain exchangeable in the Season Pass Office here at Hersheypark.
- For further details of each Department’s respective check out process, please reference each Department Welcome Letter.
VOLUNTEER DRESS CODE
In conjunction with the employee dress code, Volunteers are required to dress in accordance of these policies. Below are HE&R’s dress requirements which are general and apply to all Departments. Please also reference each of the Department Welcome Letters attached for additional dress requirements.
- For FOODS and RIDES, volunteers should wear khaki pants.
- For PARKING ATTENDANTS, you may wear Black, Navy, or Khaki in color
- Shirts should be white polo with no logo, emblem or message.
- Specific departments may issue an apron, outerwear or other item to fit the occasion/work.
- Attire must be clean, pressed, and in good condition without rips, tears, or cargo pockets
- All clothing should fit properly and be appropriate to the job being performed
- Belts must be worn appropriately
- Undergarments must not be visible
- No use of earphones for any purpose
- And--it shouldn't have to be mentioned--but no sleeping on the job.
- Hair should be clean and combed with no excessive hair ornaments
- Hair length must not interfere with performing job duties nor obstruct eye contact. Long hair must be secured and away from the face in food areas or anywhere that machinery is operated
- Jewelry should not be an interference or distraction to the job being performed and must conform to departmental guidelines
- Bracelets must be professional and traditional in style and color. (Rubber, leather, hemp or braided, etc. are unacceptable bracelets.)
- No more than two (2) rings per hand (wedding set equals one ring) and one (1) watch
- Medical alert bracelets and necklaces are acceptable
- Necklaces can be worn but must be tucked into your shirt while on duty
- Ankle bracelets and toe rings are not acceptable
- Earrings can be worn however only two (2) per ear can be worn that are no larger than a quarter. Dangling earrings cannot be worn at any time
- Jewelry may be prohibited or subject to additional requirements at some properties or in some departments
LAYERING WHEN IT GETS COLD
- Dress accordingly to weather conditions which include a jacket, fleece, or sweatshirt as needed. They must not have logos, emblems, or messages
NAME TAGS AND IDENTIFICATION BADGES
- If a Hershey Identification Tag is required by the respective Department to be worn, it must be worn on the outermost layer
SHOES AND SOCKS
- Shoes must conform to safety standards by providing safe footing with support to the ankle, offering protection against hazards
- Shoes should be clean, brushed clean or polished, in good repair and appropriate for the work environment
SUNGLASSES AND CORRECTIVE LENSES
- When worn outside, sunglasses must be removed when speaking to Guests. Mirrored sunglass lenses are not permitted. Sunglasses shall not be worn in the evening or in areas where lighting is scarce
- Volunteers may not wear sunglasses or tinted lenses indoors while on duty unless medically necessary
TATTOOS AND BODY PIERCINGS
- All visible tattoos must be covered
- All visible body piercings must be taken out or covered
SHIRTS/ UNIFORM TOPS
- Volunteers are not permitted to roll shirtsleeves or pop the collars if the shirt has one
- If the Volunteer chooses to wear a shirt underneath a company issued shirt, it must be white, free of writing, without a logo, and shall not extend past the uniform shirt's sleeves
PANTS, SHORTS, SKIRTS, AND SKORTS/UNIFORM BOTTOMS
- Volunteers are not permitted to roll pants/shorts/skirts/skorts at the waist or bottom of shorts
- Failure of the individual Volunteer to comply with the Volunteer Dress Code will result in the Volunteer being turned away for the block shift thus forfeiting vouchers or charitable contributions for the non-profit Organization. Individual Volunteers must be made aware of the Volunteer Dress Code by the Volunteer Coordinator before the Volunteer arrives on property.
How Do I Get My Hershey Admission Tickets That I Earned?
Each volunteer will receive one volunteer voucher for each shift completed. Some shifts, depending on the demand for the job and shift, could receive double or triple vouchers. These better offers are listed on the HersheyPark job calendars. One voucher is good for one of the following choices:
- One Hersheypark admission during the current season or
- One admission to the current Hersheypark In The Dark event or
- One admission to the current Hersheypark Christmas Candylane event or
- One vehicle admission to Hershey Sweet Lights, seating 8 passengers or less only; ticket is valid Sunday - Thursday only
Vouchers can be redeemed at the Season Pass Office at Hersheypark. Call 717-534-3900 for the Season Pass Office hours. Please be sure to check the redemption date on each volunteer voucher as they do have an expiration date. Once the date has passed, you will not be permitted to redeem the voucher.
IMPORTANT NEW INFORMATION FOR 2018
Click here to review both job descriptions and the new volunteer waiver for 2018. Note Schedule A in the Waiver which disallows volunteers working in the program which certain criminal arrest histories.